Skip to main content

Meet Annette Postell Founder of My Sisters Keeper: Turning Tragedy Into Triumph Through Service




MSK Founder, Annette Postell, Breast Cancer Story


I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in August 2005. I can remember the words like it was yesterday. “Blah, Blah, Blah,…tested positive for cancer. Looking at the size of this tumor, we are not very optimistic
as to if we can cure you at this stage. From the size of this growth, you have Stage 4 breast cancer with some possible cancer cells in your lymph nodes, lungs or bones…Blah, blah, Blah…” I was devastated. I swallowed long and hard. The lady who was in the room with me grabbed my hand and said, “Just pray. Remember, God didn’t bring you this far to leave you.” I remember the treatment plan-Chemotherapy, Surgery, and Radiation. I had never been a quitter. I made up my mind to ‘put up my dukes’ and fight this thing. I reminded myself that I needed to live for my children-and my new grandson. I reminded myself that the Only Mother I had ever known, Aunt Alice, fought her whole life to live-and with God’s help, I was going to fight this thing.
There were so many side effects. I kept praying to get to the other side. Finally, I reached the end of the first tunnel. Eight cycles of chemotherapy shrunk the cantaloupe-sized tumor down to an egg-size. My doctor was pleased and so was I. Next, I had surgery. Since the tumor was so small, I was fortunate to have only a lumpectomy with the removal of some lymph nodes. Radiation was the last part of my treatment plan. I will never forget it because it was during the whole month of July 2006. Finally, I was at the end. And, I felt I could live my life freely because just as God had promised me.
One morning in March 2014, I felt a familiar lump. I remember checking it for a whole week, several times a day because I did not want to accept the fact this thing called cancer could be back. I called and made an appointment. I prayed. I cried. I acted as if it was a figment of my imagination. May 2014, I had a needle biopsy. They called me before I made it home and set an appointment with me for the next morning for me to receive “the results”. So, I went in and received the news. “Ms. Postell-Kelly, your biopsy tested positive…Blah, Blah, Blah…”. I sat in the car for a moment and just took a deep breath. I felt confusion, dismay, anger, sadness. I felt alone. I felt defeated.
My next appointment with my Oncologist set the record straight on certain levels. He confirmed the earlier diagnosis and gave me options. Mastectomy! Oh Wow! I did not expect that word. And, I did not know how to accept it. I had asked my then partner to accompany me for moral support. It was a cold, long, slow ride back home. I made him promise not to tell anyone because I needed to deal with my situation as best I could. He promised to be there despite the fact he was uncomfortable because of his personal dealings with cancer.
July 15, 2014, I had the suggested mastectomy. After my surgery, I was informed that I would need to have Chemotherapy again for 4-6 months. There were some additional nodes found during the surgery. I took it all in stride but I was really having a time with this whole situation. Somewhere during the 6 months of chemotherapy, I found gratitude again for living. I found a confidence within to live again. I heard the voice of God telling me to walk in my purpose.
The peace which rests in my spirit now inspires me to reach out and help my sisters who are affected by breast cancer. I prayed and journaled a lot during this time. One night, after prayer, I read my journal. I was seeking God’s face for an answer as to what to do now that this battle had been won. And, God showed me how I had written over and over again about others who had crossed my path, who were not as fortunate as I had been. At that moment, it became clear to me. My mission had been given to me during the time of battle. I needed to empower, inspire and assist other women who are affected with breast cancer.
And This Is My Mission…Because I AM My Sister’s Keeper…

Popular posts from this blog

3 Lessons In Leadership From The Godfather Trilogy

It is no secret that The Godfather Trilogy is one of if not the best collection of movies ever. One thing I have picked up is that it contains many lessons if you pay attention. I often watch over and over

From Super Producer To Media Giant

In the late 1990's the city of Richmond, Virginia had a very promising music scene. Hip hop was spreading and the city was home to some rising stars. One familiar voice that could be heard then and still be heard now is that of Danja Mowf. Born Adolphus L. Maples III, Danja is a devoted husband and a father to three